Sunscreen with chemical or mineral filters?
What we need to know about sunscreens: Mineral VS. Chemical
Sunscreen protects the skin from the sun through mineral or chemical filters. What is in your sunscreen product is easiest to find out by reading the contents on the back of the package. If the SPF is of mineral origin, titanium dioxide or zinc oxide must be present in the list of ingredients. If they are missing, then the cream has chemical filters.
Mineral filtersProducts with mineral (physical) filters reflect UVA and UVB rays. The particles act as a mirror shield without penetrating the skin. These formulas are rarely irritating and are suitable even for very delicate or baby skin.
Two types of physical filters are used:
- Zinc Oxide - it is obtained by direct interaction of zinc and oxygen when heated. It is an inorganic mineral compound that has a wide range of protection and reduces the production of free radicals. In medicine and dermatology it is used as part of the composition of drugs for external use. It has anti-inflammatory, drying, healing and antiseptic action. It is not absorbed into the skin, blocks UVA and UVB rays. Zinc oxide is photostable and protects against ultraviolet radiation across the spectrum;
- Titanium dioxide is a highly reflective chalk white mineral. It has a wide range of applications, from its use in sunscreens to food coloring, for which it is given the number E171. Does not irritate the skin, does not cause allergies, does not form comedones. Protect from UVA and UVB rays, but is susceptible to oxidation by sunlight.
Chemical (synthetic) filters
They are called "sunblocks" - they block but also absorb the sun's rays. Chemical filters penetrate the surface layer of the skin and convert solar radiation into safe heat energy. Sunscreens with chemical filters should be applied in advance, as they take effect only 20-30 minutes later. Their advantage is that they are invisible on the skin. But what are their disadvantages?
They can provoke a number of allergic reactions and adverse health problems.
Approximately 300 filters of synthetic origin are allowed in the European Union, but only some of them have been shown to be safe.
Relatively safe chemical filters are:
- Avobenzone – effectively protects against UVA radiation, minimally penetrates the dermis and does not cause hormonal changes;
- Mexoryl SX - modern safe UVA filter;
- Tinosorb S, tinosorb M - new generation filters developed by BASF;
- Octisalate - stabilizes avobenzone, practically does not cause an allergic reaction.
Interaction with the following filters is absolutely undesirable
- Homosalate – the chemical compound destroys estrogen, androgens, progesterone. Homosalate has been found to penetrate the skin, disrupt hormones, and over time can produce toxic by-products. It can penetrate the body, even in breast milk.
- Octocrylene – studies have found that octocrylene causes relatively high levels of skin allergies. The European Commission recently concluded that there is some evidence of the potential of octocrylene to disrupt the endocrine system.
The difference between mineral and chemical filters is in the absolute safety of the former and in the high efficiency of the latter. The natural ingredients of the mineral filters do not irritate the skin, do not cause allergies and dermatitis, but form a white plaque when applied. Chemical filters, in turn, provide protection against both types of UV radiation, but can provoke allergic reactions and hormonal disorders, penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream.
For maximum sun protection, dermatologists recommend combining mineral and safe chemical filters. This provides a wide range of action of the product and protects against all types of radiation. Keep in mind that the higher the SPF of the product, the more sunscreens it contains.
The global trend in sunscreen today is focused on the use of modern chemical filters of a new generation. They are light, reliable and do not irritate the skin. They feel and look like a moisturizing lotion.
And this is really the case with the eco series of sunscreen products "Sun Like", which have completely new cosmetic formulas and climate-neutral packaging. We have created the most clean and light textures without homosalate and octocrylene. The new UVA and UVB-friendly filters provide immediate, safe and secure protection.
The formulas are enriched with Beta Carotene and Vitamin E - for a beautiful and long-lasting complexion, with panthenol - for deep hydration and soothing of irritated skin and hyaluronic acid - for a fresh and radiant skin.
The packaging has a significantly lower carbon footprint and is fully recyclable.
If you have already chosen your sunscreen, be sure to wear a hat and sunglasses during the summer months. Do not sunbathe on the beach from 12 to 16 hours, spend more time in partial shade. These simple rules will help you keep your skin beautiful and healthy.